Prism

"Whenever I'm feelin' down there's only one thing pullin' me through
Twelve bar shuffle and a mega watt stereo."

Sometimes no statement could ever be more true. The lyrics are taken from the song American Music sung by Ron Tabak of Prism. Ironically Prism is a Canadian band from the province of British Columbia. There's no doubt that if Canada would have had a better marketing system for music in the 80's that Prism would have become a worldwide sensation. The band is one of my favorite all time bands period. I won't get into the history and specifics of Prism too much as that information can be found on their website. What I would really like to mention is their great songs. The songs have lasted the test of time. You should check out Prism if you don't know who they are. The first song that really got my attention was Armageddon, a song almost 8 minutes long with a "Six Million Dollar Man" type intro. After buying the 8 track tape I soon realized that every song was good on the 1979 album called Armageddon. Other favorites on this album were: Virginia, Night To Remember, You Walked Away Again, and Mirror Man.

Prism Concert Ticket

"I had a dream the other night
And as the dream unfurled
I took a trip in a rocket ship
And I found another world"

Prism CanadaPrism Armageddon

The above lyrics taken from the song Take Me To The Kaptin make me think of finding a better place than the one we are at. I'm not saying we are in a bad place but sometimes it's fun to fantasize about different possibilities. The song always makes me feel good when I hear it on the radio. It's one of the ones that take me back in time.


Prism Backstage PassPrism Vancouver Canada

After discovering Prism on the Armageddon album I soon found out that other great music was available on the self titled album Prism. Along with Take Me To The Kaptin was the fantastic Spaceship Superstar. Other good songs include: It's Over, Open Soul Surgery, and Vladivostok.

The next album I found was See Forever Eyes which contains the great song of the same name plus another favorite, Take Me Away. Flyin' is also good.

Prism See Forever EyesPrism Small Change

"Get so damned tired and uninspired doin' all these one night stands
It's a giant leap for Rock'n'Roll...but it's too much for just one man
I'm a Spaceship Superstar... gotta solar-powered laser beam guitar
I'm at the top of all the charts on Mars...I'm a Spaceship Superstar!"

Over 60 Minutes With PrismPrism Young and Restless

In 1980 the album Young And Restless came out with a song of the same name and American Music as highlights.



Ron Tabak, the original lead singer of Prism was killed in a cycling accident in 1984 but the music has lived on. I heard Darcy Deutsch sing the songs some years ago. For a time Henry Small took over lead vocals. Recently I heard Al Harlow, who is an early member of Prism sing the lineup of songs very well. I still recommend seeing this band if you have the chance.



There's something special about Prism's music. Canadian classic.

Here is an image for die hard Prism fans which i took of my t-shirt . At the time i wrote this i couldn't find this picture anywhere else. Steve O of Prism personally gave me this shirt during an intermission at their concert. After talking to him for awhile I was getting ready to pay someone and he just said "this is my gift from me to you". I was impressed. Big Black Sky is Prism's newest album.

Update: I met Al Harlow who was filling in as lead guitarist for Holly Woods of the band Toronto. I showed him my Take Me To The Kaptin ringtone. Cool Guy.



I went through armageddon with Prism


2 comments:

Skinny said...

I'am 66 years old was turned on to prism in 78 and been a follower all these years, getting a lot to old to act up like the younger days but still like to rock out. Canada has a lot of great bands Thank you for your time.

Vulcan Mediator said...

Great blog and your video of Armagedon is the best I've seen. One band you missed, also from the west coast, is Doug and the Slugs featuring the unique Doug Bennett. Like Ron Tabac, he had a distinguished voice and left us too soon.


Canada

Over the years many great music artists have come from Canada. A country with a small population has produced a surprising amount of talent. To find out how Canada rocks read the blogs, get the music and go to a show.